Discipline = Freedom…
Whenever I’d hear the word discipline, I’d cringe because my initial thoughts were of punishment, deprivation and self torture.I felt such negative vibes with that word until I came across this book called Perfectly Yourself by Matthew Kelly.
In this book, Matthew talks a ton about discipline and how it’s a key component to freedom. Kelly says, “You can’t have Freedom without Discipline.” In fact, the common denominator to success in terms of getting from where you are to where you wanna be is discipline.
Below I’ve listed several segments from the book, (yes, word for word). I believe these “nuggets of wisdom” perfectly explain how discipline can be used to increase our self control, so that we can experience freedom from any habits of the mind that prevents us from Looking, Feeling and Becoming the Best-Version-of-Ourselves.
8 Views on Discipline & How it Leads to Freedom:
1. According to discipline.com, “Discipline gives a person the power to stick with their decisions and follow them through. This makes discipline a critical component and one of the most important requirements for achieving goals of any kind in life.”
2. Do we really believe life without structure or discipline will give us the happiness we desire? How successful do you think your business would be if you did whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted? (Same goes for our bodies and our health).
3. Our insatiable appetite for instant gratification leads us farther and farther from getting to where we wanna be with our bodies. Instant gratification is our mistaken notion that freedom is the right or ability to do whatever we want. We cannot allow instant gratification to guide and direct every decision.
4. When we deny ourselves in small ways, we regain the self mastery that makes us free and allows us to take control once more of our appetite and impulses.
5. We have enslaved ourselves by giving into our impulses of whatever we want and whenever we want.
6. Our level of discipline and self control significantly affects the level of happiness we experience in this life.
7. Self control is a gift we give ourselves and is the very essence of discipline. Self control is the foundation of discipline and a prerequisite for happiness (freedom).
8. The body is directed by instincts and conditioned responses. As humans we have a CONSCIOUS choice, we choose which responses we wanna become conditioned to. We are aware of which responses are good for us and which are self destructive. For example: skipping your workouts, snacking when you’re not hungry, overeating, or indulging in alcohol to numb your emotions.
Transforming Resolutions into Habits:
“The reason so many of us fail to achieve real and sustainable change in our lives is because we focus too much on the desired outcome (external goals) and not enough on the progress we are making (internal goals). It is important to establish goals but they can often seem overwhelming and impossible. It is when we lose sight of our progress that we become discouraged, and it is our discouragement that often lands us back into our self defeating habits and self destructive behaviors.” – Matthew Kelly Perfectly Yourself
Take Action Now:
1. Break down your large goals into smaller ones. It makes it easier to accomplish and create more focused discipline.
2. Just do the next right thing. By creating daily wins, each decision you choose to do better (not snacking between meals, grabbing a water vs. soda, breathing with your emotions vs. pacifying them with food), you start to set yourself free in a small way from the self-imprisonment.
3. Affirm(ation): Every decision I make day-in and day-out matter. It is in these small acts that I do each day, (today) that allow me to get closer to Looking, Feeling & Being the Best-Version-of-Myself. I choose to have discipline not because I want to be mean to myself or to punish myself, I choose to have self-discipline because I want to feel free.
***If you need further help getting started, click here–> http://tanyasilva.com/21daykickstart/
And Remember to Look, Feel & Be Your Best Today!-